Monday, August 25, 2008

Why A Second Opinion Is Always Worthy

For literally 5 days before last Thursday, I was in a confused state! Not that i was confused about my life but my physical well-being. I was literally suffering from a fluctuating body temperature (from cold to high temperature), and suffered immensely from body aches and headaches. I was wondering what was wrong with me! When rashes grew over my upper body, i realized that i needed an immediate medical advice and my mind started to grow suspicious of the possibility of a denggi fever infection! So i visited a nearby hospital and conducted a blood test. The reply from the doctor for that night did not sound very convincing, but the conclusion matched my suspicion....the tests suggested denggi fever "positive"!

Ironically, the doctor also told me that there would not be any medical remedy available, but largely depends on individual's antibody. While only a small number of cases for denggi fever patient (something like 3% in this country) is fatal, it did worry me as much as i had to make a decision whether to admit into hospital for closer supervision. Financially it was the least concern as i would have it covered under my insurance hospitalization protection scheme but what i was more concerned was the duration of the admission and how I would "entertain" myself from the extreme boredom!

So i decided to hold back the admission and resorted to some age old natural remedy (which i found through internet research and reinforced through talking to some friends) by drinking lots of fluid (and 100 plus!) and some raw juices from mature papaya leaves. My condition, however, did not improve later that night, so after some deliberation with my wife, i decided to go for a second medical test at another hospital to seek confirmation. Bizarrely, the doctor's assessment was very much different from the first, but much to my delight! So it wasn't denggi fever, apparently!

The next day my condition improved and my illness had gradually eased off, much to my pleasant surprise! Perhaps the natural remedy might have helped the course of recovery? Truly, i am not sure, but I am certainly delighted to be back in action in good state!

Often this is very true in life.....Do not be afraid to seek a second opinion when in doubt!

No comments: