Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Options Trading For Beginners

Due to the current financial and economic crisis in U.S., I have started evaluating some stocks in the U.S. Before 2008, trading in U.S. stocks would certainly require deep pockets, particularly for myself due to my country's unfavourable exchange rates ($1 to RM3.5 on average). Never in my life could I imagine stocks in U.S. could one day be trading at such low prices! eg., financial giant like Citigroup trading below $1? GE trading below $6? There are many other examples, such as General Motors and AIG. Then of course, these stocks were trading at such low levels due to their own respective unprecedented crisis!

So I started putting some money into U.S. stocks and thankfully, i made some decent gains in a short period of time. Having a solid trading plan knowing when to enter and exit was the critical success factor. By the way, adopting buy and hold strategy no longer works these days in my opinion, due to the volatile nature of markets and frankly, no one knows for sure whether the markets have bottomed. So why take on the risk of hitting the unknown?

Precisely. But here's a problem. Investing in U.S. stocks means that I will still need to pump in a sizeable amount of money to trade (bearing in mind my unfavourable exchange rate)! There comes to my mind options trading which I had heard so many times before but have very little knowledge of. Options trading utilises the power of leveraging on stocks and is a very powerful form of derivative instrument. So powerful that even Mr. Warren Buffett is fearful of (as he recently criticised as one of the major cause of stock market crash).

As I recalled, I had contemplated to learn options trading in June last year but I dropped the notion because I was not ready then (Please refer to my archived post entitled "Do I Need Options"). Now I believe I am ready to explore this new frontier (new, at least for me...) and to uncover it's perceived power of leveraging and to unlock the myth of successful options trading.

Haven't attended numerous previews of Options Trading learning courses in the past and feedback from numerous ex-students and friends who ventured into options trading, I was certainly skeptical on which Options Trading trainer or course would actually deliver the goods. My attempted research through the internet was of little benefit too as no website content would reveal satisfactory practical knowledge on options trading. Finally, I had little choice but to take a calculated gamble by learning from a fee-based course.

Next I shall reveal which course I have selected and my ground up review.

1 comment:

Nadlique said...

I've been wanting to trade options for a while now. Been procrastinating unfortunately. Perhaps I'm too busy as it is :P

Anyway, good luck!