Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Beauty and the Beast.....An Emotional Week


Out of the norm, I would like to take a moment to write about my thoughts on the two natural disasters that have rocked Asia this past couple of weeks...

First it was the typhoon that blew Myanmar apart, then it was the catastrophic China's earthquake at Sichuan that took more than 40,000 lives.....these are simply devastating!

As I watched in horror the gruesome live pictures, stories and recordings of the events through TV, newspaper and internet, i couldn't hide my emotions at times watching the disaster unfold.

Special tribute has to be extended to China's People's Liberation Army, the medical team and volunteers who worked tirelessly to the rescue work and keeping the situation under control. The army, in particular, has demonstrated great efficiency, dedication and unselfish commitment to managing the wreckage and rescuing people, many from the brink of death!

I am not sure how long it will take for the victims who lost their homes and/or families to recover from this tragedy...it could in fact be many months or even years before their lives could return to normal again.

Sadly, as a foreigner, there's nothing much i could do except for providing some assistance in monetary form. I have decided today to make a charity donation to both Myanmar and Sichuan disaster relief fund. In fact, this is my biggest single contribution to-date and i certainly have no regrets!

I hope you will do the same too.


Cherish your lives and your loved ones while you can! Life can be short!

No comments: